One of my ways of making salmon is with the air fryer. I love slow baked salmon, but when I need salmon and need it fast, the air fryer is the way to go. It cooks the salmon evenly and perfectly; it’s juicy and flaky every time. Sometimes I even make salmon fillets at the start of the week, so I have salmon in the fridge just ready to serve on salads or on cereal bowls.
The other day we bought a giant side of salmon and I was so happy. I LOVE the salmon. It really is one of the best types of fish out there.: healthy, full of flavor, easy to cook and super versatile. It tastes great with just a little salt and pepper and even more fantastic with seasonings and flavors. The best part is probably that it cooks so quickly – if you’re hungry, you can go from hunger to food in no time.
How to cook salmon in the air fryer
Cooking salmon in the air fryer is super easy.
- Lightly pat your salmon dry so the surface has a better chance of crisping slightly.
- Season generously. I went with a classic lemon and pepper combination, but feel free to add your favorite seasoning blend.
- Place the salmon in the basket of the air fryer. I like to cover the basket with foil so that it is easy to clean.
- Drizzle the salmon with olive oil.
- Air fry for 10 minutes at 300 ° F.
- Remove and enjoy!
Air fryer salmon ingredients
All you really need is salmon, but I drizzle a little extra olive oil for flavor and add thinly sliced lemons which are lightly caramelized while the salmon cooks.
Skin to skin of salmon
Salmon with skin and without skin works great in the air fryer. The skin of the salmon has an extra layer of protection against overcooking, so if you’re worried about dry salmon, go for the skin of the salmon; you can still easily remove the skin after cooking the salmon.
What temperature for salmon in the air fryer
I like to cook salmon at a lower temperature so there is less chance of overcooking. Most air fryer salmon recipes have you cooking the salmon over high heat for a shorter time, but in this case weak and (slightly) slow wins the race. Your salmon will be tender and juicy, flake perfectly, and be opaque and just cooked.
At what internal temperature should I cook the salmon?
For wild salmon, aim for an internal temperature of 120 ° F
For farmed salmon, aim for an internal temperature of 125 ° F
Note: The FDA recommends 145 ° F.
How to tell if the salmon is cooked
The best and easiest way to tell if salmon is cooked is to gently squeeze it with the back of a spoon, when cooked properly it will flake. Perfectly cooked salmon will be tender, barely opaque and juicy. Overcooked salmon will also flake, but it will be dry, lighter in color, completely opaque and hard.
Which air fryer do you have?
If you are wondering which fryer we have, this is this one. I’m not sure if it’s the best on the market as it’s the only one we’ve used, but it works great. It’s quiet and easy to clean and really big (which is good because you can put a lot of food in it and bad because it takes up a lot of space with us).
What about baked salmon?
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can simply cook your salmon in the oven on a low heat to get flaky, juicy fillets. Bake at 275 ° F until flaky and cooked through, about 30 to 45 minutes. Check out this article for more information on baked salmon.
Salmon ideas for air fryer
If you’re looking for seasoning ideas, try these:
- Honey and garlic: Mix 1 tablespoon of honey with 1-2 minced garlic cloves. Lightly pat the salmon dry, season generously with salt and pepper and coat with the honey and garlic mixture. Air fry for 10 minutes at 300 ° F.
- Any bagel: Lightly pat the salmon dry, season generously with all the spiced bagel. Air fry for 10 minutes at 300 ° F.
- Soy maple: Mix 1 tbsp. Maple syrup with 1 tbsp. Tablespoons of soy sauce. Lightly pat the salmon dry, season generously with salt and pepper and coat with the maple soy mixture. Air fry for 10 minutes at 300 ° F. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds to finish.
What to serve with air fryer salmon
Air Fryer Salmon
When you need salmon fast, the air fryer is the answer.
- 2 boneless salmon fillets about 4 oz each
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6-8 Slices of lemons optional
- Lightly pat the salmon dry with paper towel. Drizzle with olive oil and season generously with salt and freshly ground pepper. Place in the basket of the air fryer (I like to line the basket with foil for easy cleaning).
- Air fry the salmon for 10 minutes at 300 ° F. The salmon should be cooked, opaque and flaking easily. Immediately remove from the air fryer and enjoy.
Air Fryer Salmon
Amount per serving (4 oz)
Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value *
Large 14 g22%
Saturated fat 2g13%
Cholesterol 50 mg17%
Sodium 50 mg2%
Potassium 435 mg12%
Carbohydrates 0.01 g0%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.