This vegan breakfast burrito is perfect for busy mornings! It’s packed with fresh veggies, black beans, and a delicious tofu scramble.
Can you imagine getting out of bed in the morning knowing that a vegan burrito breakfast is already waiting for you in the kitchen? You don’t have to do a ton of prep or cleanup. Heck, you don’t really have to do whatever except to sauté it in the microwave and eat it. Does it sound idyllic or what?
Well, my friend, I have some good news for you. This vegan breakfast burrito freezes perfectly, so you can make reservations ahead of time and keep them on hand for busy mornings. They are healthy, tasty and rich in vegetable protein. Served with a little salsa for dipping, they’re a fresh and satisfying way to start the day.
Ingredients for the vegan breakfast burrito recipe
Here’s what you’ll need to make this vegan breakfast burrito recipe:
- Tofu scramble – You’ll often find scrambled eggs in a regular breakfast burrito, so in this vegan recipe I’m using my Easy Tofu Scramble instead. It’s simple and tasty, seasoned with turmeric, cumin and nutritional yeast.
- Black beans – An essential burrito for breakfast! In addition to the tofu scramble, they pack this recipe with vegetable protein.
- Lawyer – I love its creamy texture with crunchy vegetables.
- Roasted red pepper – For color and crunch.
- Spinach – It gives this vegan breakfast burrito a feeling of lightness and freshness.
- Serrano pepper – They add more crunch and give the burrito a spicy touch. The pickled jalapeños would be great here too!
- Marinated red onions – For a touch of bright flavor. If you don’t have one on hand, green onions are a good substitute.
- And large flour tortillas – To conclude all that!
Find the full recipe with the measurements below.
How to make a vegan burrito breakfast
This vegan breakfast burrito recipe is not difficult to make, but there are several components that you need to prepare before putting the burritos together. Fortunately, pickled red onions, roasted red peppers, and tofu scramble can all be made a day or two ahead. Once you have them on hand, making the burritos is a snap!
Place a layer of spinach leaves in the center of each tortilla. Top with the tofu scramble, black beans, avocado, pickled red onions, and raw roasted peppers. Season the filling with a pinch of salt and a drizzle of fresh lime juice.
Finally, fold! Fold the bottom flap of the tortilla up and over the filling. Then tuck in the sides and roll the filling to the top of the tortilla to seal the burrito. That’s all!
Meal preparation tips and serving suggestions
After folding the burritos, you have two options: freeze them or eat them right away. If you want to freeze the burritos, wrap them tightly in foil and transfer them to the freezer. They keep well for up to 2 months.
To thaw them, I recommend planning ahead. Transfer a frozen vegan breakfast burrito to the fridge the night before eating it. In the morning, microwave it for about 30 seconds to warm it up. This way the burrito will heat evenly. I have found that when I have a microwave straight from the freezer it gets really hot outside before the middle starts to thaw.
Whether you freeze your vegan breakfast burrito or not, serve it with salsa on the side. I like mine with tomatillo salsa, tomato salsa or pico de gallo. Of course, guac would also be a great choice.
More vegan breakfast recipes
If you like this recipe, try one of these vegan breakfast recipes below:
Vegan Breakfast Burrito
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
This high protein vegan breakfast burrito is perfect for busy mornings! In the article above, you will find instructions for preparing, freezing and defrosting meals.
Divide the spinach leaves among the tortillas. Top with the tofu scramble, black beans, red peppers, avocado, pickled onions and serranos. Season with a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lime.
Fold the left and right sides of the tortilla over the filling. Fold the bottom burrito flap up and over the filling, then tuck in the sides and filling as you roll the burrito. Wrap in foil, slice and serve with salsa on the side.