Ginger Carrot Cake is a delicious two-tiered carrot cake flavored with lots of fresh ginger and topped with an orange cream cheese frosting.
If you love carrot cake as much as I do, then you are ready to experience a new carrot cake recipe. I have recipes for traditional carrot cake and carrot cake cheesecake. A carrot cake is another way to take advantage of it. And a simple carrot cake it’s good too. The ginger carrot cake is quite unique. There are some special ingredients added to the cake that make it taste so great!
- Since this is a carrot cake, you will be using fresh carrots. Make sure you grate them with a fine grater instead of the large grill.
- As the name of the recipe suggests (Ginger Carrot Cake), ginger is an important part of the recipe. Use grated fresh ginger for the best flavor.
- Another thing that makes this recipe unique is the addition of dried fruits. Use an apricot, pineapple, and apple combo (or just one of these). If you don’t like the idea of adding dried fruit, you can leave it out. Or you can add raisins in place of the other fruits.
- There are no nuts in this recipe, but you can definitely add chopped nuts to the recipe if you like nuts in your carrot cake.
This is a two-tiered cake made in two round cake pans. The 9 inch round baking pans should be at least 1 1/2 inches deep, otherwise the dough could run out of the sides while baking! If your round dishes are not deep enough, use a greased and floured 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish and bake for 40 minutes.
The cream cheese buttercream frosting used for this cake is flavored with finely grated orange zest. The orange flavor is a really delicious pairing with this ginger carrot cake!
You will get about 12 servings (slices) of this cake. It’s a great cake to bake for Easter or Mother’s Day.
How to store ginger carrot cake:
Loosely cover cake and store cake or leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Ginger Carrot Cake
A delicious two-tiered carrot cake flavored with lots of ginger and topped with an orange cream cheese frosting.
Servings: 12 portions
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 2 coffee spoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups finely grated carrot
- 4 big eggs, beaten
- ¾ Cup canola or vegetable oil
- ¾ Cup finely chopped mixed dried fruit (like apricot, apple, pineapple)
- 2 coffee spoons grated fresh ginger (or ¾ teaspoon of ground ginger)
- 6 ounces Cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Orange juice
- 4 to 5 cups Granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon finely grated orange zest
PREPARE THE CAKE:
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
In a medium bowl, combine carrot, eggs, oil, dried fruit and ginger. Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Divide the dough between the two prepared molds.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in molds on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the molds. Cool completely on wire shelves.
PREPARE FOR ICING:
In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the cream cheese, butter and orange juice on medium speed until combined. Gradually fold in 2 cups of powdered sugar. Gradually stir in an additional 2½ to 2¾ cups of powdered sugar to achieve a spreadable consistency. Stir in the orange zest.
Frost the top of a cake layer with a little cream cheese frosting. Top with the rest of the cake layer. Frost top and sides with remaining frosting.
Cover lightly and store cake or leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- * 9 inch round baking tins should be at least 1 1/2 inches deep or the dough may run out of the sides while baking! If your round dishes are not deep enough, use a greased and floured 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish and bake for 40 minutes.
Portion: 1slice, Calories: 662kcal, Carbohydrates: 98g, Protein: 6g, Large: 29g, Saturated fat: 9g, Trans fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 99mg, Sodium: 210mg, Potassium: 336mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 79g, Vitamin A: 6169UI, Vitamin C: 3mg, Calcium: 74mg, The iron: 2mg