This simple carrot salad recipe can be made in just 15 minutes! Mixed in a slightly sweet spicy cumin vinaigrette, it is bright, aromatic and refreshing.
This carrot salad recipe is one of my favorite news. I love it because it’s so simple (really, you can do it in 15 minutes or less), so vibrant, and so delicious. Crunchy carrot matches mingle with hazelnut pistachios, fresh cilantro and mint. Medjool dates add sweetness and a spicy cumin vinaigrette ties it all together.
This carrot salad recipe would make a great side dish for a brunch or special occasion dinner, and it packs well for lunch or a picnic too. More often than not, however, I eat it at the counter, picking up fork after fork directly from the bowl. It’s light, bright, aromatic and refreshing. You all know I’m obsessed with veggies, but even I can’t believe a simple carrot salad can taste this taste.
Carrot salad recipe ingredients
You only need 10 ingredients to make this carrot salad recipe:
- Carrots, of course! Use the best you can find. Bonus points if they are multicolored!
- Medjool dates – I love their sweet flavor with the aromatic dressing and earthy carrots.
- Pistachios – For the crunch! I recommend grilling them to bring out their nutty flavor. Add them to a small, dry skillet over low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Fresh cilantro and mint – If you prepare this salad in advance, wait to add the herbs until the last minute. That way, they’ll stay tasty and fresh, and they won’t wilt until you eat.
- The vinaigrette – This easy homemade dressing is ready in no time! Simply whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, honey, garlic, cumin and salt in a small bowl and season to taste.
Find the full recipe with the measurements below.
Traditional French and American carrot salad recipes call for grated carrots, but I rather like julienne mine. Julienned carrots have a crispier and more delicate texture than grated carrots, which makes this salad pleasant to eat. They are also magnificent here.
I recommend cutting carrots in two ways: with a julienne peeler or with a knife. I have step by step instructions in this article. Whatever you do, born use a bag of pre-cut carrots from the store. This salad shines when you make it with really sweet and crunchy carrots. The bags just won’t be as good.
Suggested carrot salad servings
This carrot salad recipe is incredibly versatile, so it’s a great recipe to have in your back pocket. As written, this is a stellar side dish for dinner or brunch. For dinner, serve with clogged white beans, veggie or black bean burgers, crispy falafel or a protein of your choice. If you’re serving it for brunch, try pairing it with one of these tasty recipes:
Complete the meal with something sweet! My chocolate chip muffins, blueberry scones, cinnamon rolls or French toast would be excellent. For more brunch ideas, check out this article.
Otherwise, I like to eat this carrot salad for lunch. I often pair it with an egg salad or Caprese sandwich, or top it with crispy roasted chickpeas and savor it on its own.
More Favorite Salad Recipes
If you like this carrot salad, then try one of these fresh salad recipes:
This carrot salad recipe is so simple and delicious! Serve it as a side dish for dinner or brunch, or make it ahead and pack it up for lunch. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- 1 grind carrots, julienned
- 3 Medjool dates, pitted and diced
- ¼ Chopped off chopped pistachios
- ⅓ Chopped off finely chopped cilantro
- ¼ Chopped off mint leaves, optional
- 2 soup spoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 soup spoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 small clove of garlic, grated
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Place the julienned carrots in a large bowl and sprinkle with the dates.
Prepare the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, honey, garlic, cumin and salt.
Pour the dressing over the carrots and toss to coat. Sprinkle with pistachios and cilantro and toss again. Sprinkle the mint leaves and serve.