You will LOVE this potato breakfast recipe! It’s super easy to make and the potatoes are perfectly crispy and golden every time.
Why not love potatoes for breakfast? They’re crispy on the outside, creamy in the middle, and seasoned to perfection with smoky, flavorful spices. They are so simple to prepare and they are delicious with just about any breakfast dish. Confused about what to serve with that tofu scramble or frittata? Breakfast potatoes to the rescue!
You will find my easy potato breakfast recipe below. It’s a stand-by in our house – I do it every time I cook brunch, whether it’s for my whole family or just for Jack and me. I offer two variations of the recipe. In one, you just roast the potatoes with salt, pepper and spices. In the other, you mix the roasted potatoes with sautéed onions and peppers. Both versions are delicious, but I recommend adding extra veg if you can. They really take those breakfast potatoes on top!
Breakfast potato recipe ingredients
Ready to cook? Here’s what you’ll need:
- Potatoes, of course! Avoid large, starchy red potatoes for this recipe. Look for small yellow or red potatoes instead. They’ll cook with crispy skins and tender, creamy interiors.
- Smoked paprika – It infuses the potatoes with a delicious smoky flavor.
- red pepper flakes – For the warmth.
- Extra virgin olive oil – It adds richness and helps the potatoes to bite into the oven.
- Sautéed onion, garlic and red pepper – These sautéed vegetables are optional, but they really add flavor to this breakfast potato recipe. Definitely use them if you can!
- Coriander – Again, it’s optional, but its fresh flavor perfectly accentuates the smoked potatoes for breakfast.
- And salt and pepper – To bring out all the flavors!
Find the full recipe with the measurements below.
How to make breakfast potatoes
My method of making potatoes for breakfast is super simple! Here is how it goes:
Start by preparing the potatoes. Cut them into 1/2-inch pieces, leaving the skins behind. They are essential in helping potatoes turn nice and crispy in the oven! Spread the potatoes on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and toss them with olive oil, salt, black pepper, smoked paprika and red pepper flakes.
Arrange the potatoes in a single layer, leaving a little space around each. If they are too crowded, they will steam in the oven and they will not crisp while baking.
Then cook! Transfer the potatoes to a 425 ° oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden and crispy around the edges. If you wish, you can stop here and devour the crispy potatoes as is, but I recommend doing the optional sautéed vegetables if you can.
Then, brown the onions and peppers. Heat a little olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers and garlic and cook, 5 to 8 minutes, until tender and lightly browned. Remove the vegetables from the heat, stir in the potatoes and sprinkle with cilantro.
Finally, season to taste with salt and pepper, and eat!
Potato portion suggestions for breakfast
These crispy breakfast potatoes pair well with all kinds of breakfast and brunch dishes. For a simple breakfast, serve them with sunny or poached eggs or an easy tofu scramble. They would also be excellent with any of these great brunch recipes:
Complete the meal with a fruit salad, smoothie, or other sweet breakfast, such as pancakes or French toast. For more brunch ideas, check out this article!
If I don’t serve these breakfast potatoes on the side, there’s another way I like to use them: in a breakfast burrito! They are fantastic in these vegetarian breakfast burritos with black beans and scrambled eggs, and you can add them to this vegan breakfast burrito as well.
More side dishes for brunch and breakfast
If you love these crispy breakfast potatoes, try one of these easy brunch recipes:
Preparation time: ten minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
These Easy Breakfast Roasted Potatoes are a perfect breakfast or brunch side dish! They’re crispy on the outside, creamy in the middle, and seasoned to perfection with smoky, flavorful spices.
- 1 grind small potatoes, cut into ½ inch pieces
- Extra virgin olive oil, to water
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Optional sautéed onions and peppers
- ½ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 1 Red bell pepper, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ⅓ Chopped off coriander, To serve
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 425 ° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, smoked paprika and pinches of red pepper flakes. Stir to coat, spread evenly over pan and bake for 30 minutes or until golden and crisp around edges. Stop here and serve as is or toss with sautéed onions and peppers.
Make the onions and peppers: Heat the oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add onions, peppers and garlic and sauté until tender and lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the potatoes and sprinkle with cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot.