Nothing says “Spring!” like this asparagus salad recipe. It’s light and refreshing, made with crunchy veggies, feta, and a creamy avocado vinaigrette.
Every year, I make this asparagus salad recipe to celebrate the arrival of spring… which in Chicago is usually later than you might think.
You see, for all the years we’ve lived here, it snowed on Jack’s birthday in April. So when we have the strange hot day in March or early April, I have no hope. “Winter isn’t over yet,” I said to myself, “don’t get used to it.” But this year, Jack’s birthday has arrived … and he has no snow. It was still a little chilly, but the air smelled of cleanliness and freshness, and tulips and daffodils were blooming in the neighborhood. Dare I say it? I think spring may really be here. Cue: this asparagus salad recipe!
This asparagus salad combines all of my favorite seasonal produce – crispy radishes, asparagus, sweet peas and fresh herbs. It’s easy to make and it’s tasty, shiny, and refreshing. Enjoy it on its own for a light lunch or serve it as a side dish with almost anything you fancy.
Asparagus salad recipe ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this asparagus salad recipe:
- Asparagus, of course! Look for 2 clusters with thin, lively spears.
- Peas – To keep things simple, I use thawed frozen peas, but you can blanch fresh peas if you like.
- Garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt – I lightly dress the asparagus and peas in this mixture before assembling the salad. This gives them a nice bright flavor.
- Radishes – For color and crunch.
- Avocado dressing – This rich and lemony vinaigrette gives the salad a slightly creamy coating. If you want to go ahead, you can prepare the dressing up to a day in advance.
- Feta cheese – I love its tangy and salty flavor with the fresh spring veg here, but if you’re a vegan feel free to ignore it. Instead, add a few pickled radishes to the salad.
- Pine nuts – For a rich, nutty flavor and extra crunch.
- And fresh mint or basil – To take it everywhere.
Find the full recipe with the measurements below.
This asparagus salad recipe is broken down into 3 easy steps:
- Cook the asparagus. Blanch it for 1 minute in a large pot of salted boiling water. Then transfer it to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain the asparagus and pat dry.
- Then season the vegetables. In the bottom of a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the asparagus and peas and toss to coat.
- Finally, assemble! Transfer the asparagus and peas to a plate and drizzle with the avocado dressing. Sprinkle with sliced radishes, pine nuts, feta and herbs and season to taste.
Suggested portions of asparagus salad
This asparagus salad recipe is my favorite spring side dish! Fresh, bright, and easy to prepare, it pairs well with all kinds of dinner recipes. Serve it with ready-made meals like veggie burgers or black beans, a pasta dish like Spaghetti Aglio e Olio or Fettuccine Alfredo, or any protein you like. It also packs up nicely for a picnic (just add the herbs at the last minute!). Serve with a chickpea salad, caprese, or egg salad sandwich (see this article for a vegan version).
If you fancy a lighter meal, enjoy this asparagus salad on its own. I often eat it for lunch with a handful of crispy roasted chickpeas mixed in for extra protein.
More Favorite Spring Salads
If you like this asparagus salad recipe, then try one of these fresh spring salads:
Serves 3 to 6
This asparagus salad recipe is a perfect springtime side dish! If you want to go ahead, you can make the avocado dressing up to a day in advance.
- 2 bunches of asparagus, tender parts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ clove garlic, grated
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Chopped off frozen peas, thawed
- Avocado dressing
- ⅓ Chopped off crumbled feta
- 3 radishes, minced
- ¼ Chopped off Pine nuts
- Mint or basil leaves, For garnish
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and place a bowl of ice water nearby. Place the asparagus in the boiling water and blanch for about 1 minute, until tender but still bright green. Transfer to ice water for 1 minute, then drain. Transfer the asparagus to a kitchen towel to dry and wipe the bowl dry.
At the bottom of the bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the asparagus and peas and toss until coated. Transfer to a plate, drizzle with a little avocado dressing, garnish with feta, radish, pine nuts and mint or basil.