Sweet and sticky, salty and garlic, Honey Garlic Chicken is always the answer when I’m not sure what to make for dinner. This is the quickest dish to prepare and apart from the chicken it’s a simple pantry recipe. A side of greens and chewy rice and you’re good to go!
This is the best back pocket recipe with 5 ingredients. Honey and garlic is my jam: I can eat it on everything, including toast. This is one of the tastiest sauces you can make at home and is a real crowd-pleaser.
How to Make Honey Garlic Chicken
- Cook the chicken. Lightly dry your chicken, season it on all sides with salt and pepper then cook it in a pan with a little oil. When it’s cooked through, it’s time to add the garlic.
- Cook the garlic. Add the garlic to the pan (add a little oil if the pan is dry) and cook until it is tender but not brown and smells incredibly garlic.
- Add the sauce. Stir in the honey, soy sauce and vinegar and allow to bubble and thicken, covering all nooks and crannies of the chicken.
- Enjoy! Remove the chicken from the pan with all the sauce and enjoy!
Honey Garlic Chicken Ingredients
- chicken – I used the skin with bone on the thighs because I love the flavor of the chicken bone and I love the chicken skin! You can literally use any part of the chicken you like. I have included a handy cooking times chart just below.
- Garlic – it’s a garlic with honey and garlic with 6 fresh cloves. You can add more or have less depending on your garlic preferences. For me, the more garlic the better. Oh, and save some time and get yourself a garlic press, that’s a game-changer!
- honey – Sweet, pure, 100% clover honey is what I use when cooking so the flavors don’t overwhelm the dish. Because we cook honey, you don’t need raw honey, save it for your tea, toast or oatmeal.
- the vinegar – vinegar adds a little acid and spiciness to this sauce and balances it so that it is not only sweet. I like to use rice vinegar but you can also use white vinegar or white wine vinegar.
- soya sauce – just a touch of soy sauce for umami and flavor. As always, use a soy sauce that you like the flavor of and go for a naturally brewed soy sauce.
Pan-fried chicken cooking times table
- boneless breast: 10-15 minutes, turned as needed
- boneless thighs: 6 to 10 minutes, turning as needed
- bone-in thighs: 20-25 minutes, turning as needed
- drumsticks: 20-25 minutes, turning as needed
- wings: 10-15 minutes, turning as needed
Why You Should Make Homemade Honey Garlic Chicken
- super easy, hardly an inconvenience
- doing it at home means your chicken may be more sassy
- you can customize it to your liking with extra garlic or not too much garlic
- it’s faster than delivery
- the pure satisfaction of a homemade meal
Honey Garlic Chicken
The best back pocket recipe with 5 ingredients.
- 1 kg chicken of choice
- 6 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1/3 Chopped off honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or vinegar of your choice
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
Pat the chicken dry and season all sides with S&P. Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add a little oil. When hot, add the chicken, skin side down if using the skin on the chicken and cook until golden brown and cooked through, turning as needed. See the table for approximate cooking times.
When the chicken is cooked through, push the chicken to one side of the pan and add the garlic and cook, stirring, until tender and fragrant. Stir in honey, vinegar and soy sauce and simmer and simmer while stirring. Cover the chicken with the sauce and let it thicken slightly. Remove from the pan, taking care to scoop up the excess sauce and enjoy!
Honey Garlic Chicken
Quantity per serving
Calories from Fat 26
% Daily Value *
Large 2.9 g4%
Saturated Fat 0.01g0%
Cholesterol 73 mg24%
Sodium 285 mg12%
Potassium 461 mg13%
Carbohydrates 25.1 g8%
Protein 24.7 g49%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.