The pickled garlic is crunchy and salty with a little sweetness. He has huge winged success and is completely addicting.
What is pickled garlic?
Pickled garlic is rather modest, but it is very popular and universally appreciated, especially in Korean cuisine. You can snack on it as is (like people did with spicy pickled garlic tiktok) or you can slice or mash it and add it to rice, noodles, or stir-fries. If you like kimchi, you will love this.
The best snack
If it sounds crazy to you that people eat garlic cloves as a snack, don’t worry, the pickled version tastes very different from the raw one. Just as garlic turns sweet and caramelized when you roast it slowly, garlic softens and mellows when you marinate it. The longer the pickle, the softer, sweeter and more tangy it becomes. Pickled garlic is really wonderful.
How to Make Spicy Pickled Garlic
There are two ways to prepare pickled garlic. The quick and easy way and the slow and easy way. Either way, that’s fine, it’s just a matter of how much time you have on your hands.
- Peel your garlic, keeping the cloves whole.
- Add garlic in a jar.
- High the jar with a marinade solution made from soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and Korean pepper flakes.
- Pickle. Let the magic of stripping do its work for at least 2 weeks. The longer raw garlic stays in brine, the softer and sweeter it becomes, but with garlic.
With store-bought pickled garlic:
- Drain your store jar bought garlic.
- Mix in 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce and 1-2 teaspoons of gochugaru / Korean chili flakes and 1-2 teaspoons of fresh thyme.
- To put the lid on the jar and shake it. Enjoy!
- Garlic – you need a lot of it, we are talking about several heads of garlic
- rice vinegar – rice vinegar is my favorite vinegar but you can also use white vinegar
- sugar – sugar adds a little extra sweetness
- Korean chili flakes – Also known as gochugaru, Korean chili flakes are fruity, sweet, smoky, sun-dried bright red flakes. It’s not too spicy and perfect for spicy garlic
Tiktok Marinated Garlic Ingredients
- store bought pre-cooked garlic
- hot sauce – use your favorite hot sauce, the Tiktok version uses sriracha but I think sambal oelek would be even better
- Korean chili flakes – add as you wish
- fresh thyme – there is a bit of fresh thyme leaves in the Tiktok version – it’s quite optional in my opinion
How to easily peel garlic
For best results, you want to keep the cloves whole. Separate all the pods from the base, then place the garlic in a bowl of very hot tap water. Cut off the ends of the garlic and the peels should just slip off.
Separate all the cloves from the base and put the separated unpeeled cloves in a bowl and cover with another bowl (you can also use a large pot). Shake to remove the skins.
How to taste pickled garlic
Good breath with garlic!
Spicy marinated garlic
Marinated garlic is crunchy and salty with a little sweetness
- 1/3 Chopped off rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 heads Garlic peeled, approx. 48 cloves, see notes
- 1-2 teaspoon gochugaru optional
Mix 2/3 cup of lukewarm water, rice vinegar and sugar until the sugar dissolves. If you wish, you can heat it on the stove over low heat and then let it cool completely.
Place the garlic and gochugaru (if using) in a glass jar. Cover with the vinegar-sugar mixture and cover well. Depending on your pot, you may need to double the stripping solution. Leave the pickles in the refrigerator until desired. Pickled garlic usually takes 2 weeks. The garlic becomes softer the longer the marinating period is.
If you want to do this with pre-cooked store-bought garlic, skip the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt, and add hot sauce to taste.
Spicy marinated garlic
Quantity per serving
Calories from Fat 2
% Daily Value *
Large 0.2 g0%
Saturated Fat 0.01g0%
Cholesterol 0.01 mg0%
Sodium 587 mg26%
Potassium 144 mg4%
Carbohydrates 17.9 g6%
Protein 2.3 g5%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.