A delicious easy Coleslaw recipe that is always a crowd favorite! Crunchy cabbage with a delicious dressing, this easy coleslaw is a perfect accompaniment anytime!
Coleslaw has to be one of the most humble recipes. It works great with as many dishes as the side, but rarely gets the all-star treatment it really deserves.
Made with shredded cabbage and ingredients you probably have on hand, this recipe with creamy coleslaw dressing is always a crowd favorite and the best coleslaw recipe I have ever had. never had!
For years my family has made this coleslaw the traditional way of grating cabbage and carrots by hand or in a food processor. While this is definitely still one of the ways I make it, I’ve found that 9 out of 10 times when I make it I just grab a bag of coleslaw or coleslaw mix from the grocery store. I updated my classic recipe based on this easy method. I have also included the classic method in the recipe notes.
Ingredients for Easy Coleslaw
- Shredded coleslaw mix
- The vinegar
- Sugar or honey
You can also add other ingredients to your coleslaw, like:
- Sliced green onion
- Celery salt
How to Make an Easy Coleslaw Recipe
Preparation. Add the shredded coleslaw mixture to a large mixing bowl.
Make the dressing. Dressing is the key to this creamy coleslaw! Combine your mayonnaise, buttermilk (if you don’t have buttermilk, use my handy buttermilk substitute recipe!), Vinegar, sugar and salt in another medium bowl or 2-cup liquid measuring cup. Whisk until the sugar is completely dissolved. Pour over the coleslaw mixture in your bowl and toss to coat well with the coleslaw dressing.
To serve. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
And while it’s really delicious as soon as it’s made, I really believe it’s even more delicious the next day for lunch with whatever leftovers we might have. This time in the fridge gives her a little extra time to marinate in this creamy coleslaw dressing that tastes so amazing.
How long does coleslaw last?
- Coleslaw will keep in the refrigerator for a day after the dressing is added.
- To make it move, toss coleslaw dressing up to 3 days in advance and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and serve.
What main course do you serve with coleslaw?
For a quick answer: anything!
This recipe works really well with so many dishes, it’s no wonder it makes a classic side dish!
This is the recipe that we have been making for years and that my family has always devoured! It always makes an appearance for picnics and barbecues to accompany our favorite classic cooking dish.
But I also love it when it’s stacked on top of pulled pork in a sandwich or on a hot dog with a scoop of chili. In other words, it’s a favorite every time you serve it!
Original Classic Coleslaw Recipe
Ever since I updated my family’s classic coleslaw recipe to use a more modern approach that I have turned to time and time again, I always wanted to keep the original classic coleslaw recipe that my family did. adore for years. If coleslaw mix isn’t your favorite, this version is a must-have!
- 6 cups of shredded cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1/2 small sweet onion, diced (optional)
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons of distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of celery seeds
- Place shredded cabbage, carrots and onions in a medium bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, sugar and salt to a large bowl and whisk with a fork until blended and smooth. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add black pepper and celery seeds. Pour the mayonnaise over the cabbage and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate in the refrigerator before serving.
Here is my easy coleslaw recipe. Make sure you do this soon. I think you will really love it!